My current goal is to complete projects only using supplies I have on hand. This is allowing me to complete some unfinished projects and also save money on new projects. Recently I made over my Ikea Malm dresser and Billy bookshelf using leftover paint and primer.
My blond spare room furniture is from my university days and although it is in good shape it is dated and could use a facelift. I got rid of the bed frame with a similar blonde wood headboard recently when my parents gave me their queen size frame. I have an old door sitting in my garage that I have planned to use as a headboard (stay tuned).
When painting laminate furniture with regular paint you have to prime it first. Typically, I use chalk paint so that I can avoid this step all together but priming allows you to use any paint which provides more colour options. In this case, I had Behr Poppyseed on hand from my master bedroom accent wall. I also used this last weekend to complete some DIY wall art. I used a small roller to apply the primer and then two coats of paint.
I sealed the dresser and drawers using Varathane Chrystal Clear Polyurethane which I had on hand from my chalk paint kitchen makeover. I purchased this which is meant for floors because it is very durable which is awesome in a high traffic area like the kitchen. Having done more research since completing my kitchen makeover, I would have used polycrylic instead as my white cupboards have yellowed slightly in some areas, despite the polyurethane claiming that it is "non yellowing". I applied it using a regular bristle brush. Had I of used chalk paint on this piece, I still would have sealed it with poly rather than wax. I am finding that a lot of my furniture made over with chalk paint and finished with wax is scuffing or becoming discolored. Poly creates a much more durable barrier and protects furniture better. Again, polyacrylic is recommended over polyurethane but it's what I had on hand :)
I found these vintage knobs at Homesense for $20 for 8. I used two on the linen closet of our downstairs bathroom makeover and the remaining 6 I added to the dresser drawers.
I also primed and painted my bookshelf white. I had Behr Ultra White semi gloss on hand which has more of a sheen than I wanted for furniture but I plan to distress it to match the bed side table. I also plan to add some barn board or stained wood to the back for an added look and stability of the shelf.
Another piece I painted is this side table in my office/2nd spare room. I had painted it previously using Annie Sloan Graphite but decided to freshen it up and give it some colour using Annie Sloan Duck Egg. I distressed it heavily with 120 grit sandpaper and really love the look of the black showing through. I sealed it using Annie Sloan clear wax, all products I had on hand of course :)
Both of my spare rooms were freshly painted and have gotten a few décor additions over the last 2 years but recently I have been itching to switch them up a bit more. I am planning to change out some of the décor and wall art to achieve the fresh look I am going for and the furniture makeovers will help achieve this.