Laundry Room Makeover Part 1 - Demo + Prep

Lately it has seemed that my To Do list is always a mile long and that there are not enough hours in the day! I was taking a bit of a break from bigger projects and room makeovers and instead worked on completing some furniture painting/updating along with a few wood projects using materials I already had on hand.

Recently I decided to tackle making over my laundry room. I had originally planned to work on it this winter but then decided to hold off in an attempt to save some money and finish some smaller projects around the house. I knew I didn't want to spend a ton of money but wanted to be able to give this room a much needed update and fresh look. I have seen a ton of beautiful laundry room makeovers lately, especially those revealed recently for the #oneroomchallenge. This inspired me so much! Typically, I wouldn't really care too much about a basement laundry room, however our house has a walk out basement and the downstairs exit to the backyard is located in the laundry room. I couldn't stand the pink wall paper, burgundy carpet and dated laminate cabinets any longer!! 

IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG

We don't have much carpet in the house and this was the only place that was wallpapered. Seriously, who wallpapers and carpets a basement laundry room? So one night, I decided to start demo-ing. I was really curious to see how easy or difficult pulling up the carpet was going to be so I moved the furniture and started at the corner. I had already started reading tutorials for removing carpet and glue from concrete to prepare it to paint. I was SOOOO happy to find out that there was barely any glue used other than at the door and under the washer and dryer.

IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG

The trim was really what was holding the carpet in place so I quickly popped it off the walls (without even needing tools) and rolled the carpet up to take to the trash. This really got the ball rolling! Goodbye stinky old carpet, see ya never! To prep the floors for painting, I did not do everything that I had read in the tutorials. I had learned about removing carpet glue by applying lacquer thinner but since there was barely any glue, I skipped this all together. I was not concerned about the glue under the washer and dryer as it was probably 30 years old and therefore wasn't sticky any more, it just left a bumpy surface after the carpet was gone. Similarly by the door, there was a small section of glue but I knew there would always be a door mat here covering it so I decided to skip removing the glue all together. Call me lazy, but I wasn't going to waste time or money purchasing the lacquer thinner required and taking the time to remove something that wouldn't be showing anyways. This lady has got better things to do! The concrete floor had been painted prior to the carpet so there were some areas that were chipped. I used my palm sander to smooth these areas down and then swept and vacuumed, swept and vacuumed as best as I could. Then the floor was ready for paint!! I will be sharing all my paint details in another post :)

Removing the carpet and prepping the floors was pretty straight forward. The wallpaper was a bit more labour intensive. I remember peeling wallpaper as a kid growing up in a century home but had never done this on my own. Thankfully, only the upper halves of the walls were wallpapered and the bottom half was painted with a chair rail separating the two. Bizarre, right?! Anyways, I peeled the top layer off pretty easily, exposing the paper backing. I got a bucket of hot water with some vinegar and fabric softener added to it. I used a rag to saturate the paper backing with my hot water mixture. I did small sections at a time, getting the paper wet and waiting a few minutes. Then, I used my scraper and removed the paper from the walls. Some pieces came off extremely easily and in large sections. Some were more stubborn. I worked my way around the room until every bit of paper was gone. Then I got a new bucket of hot soapy water and wiped down the walls to remove any glue residue. I let this dry overnight before painting.

What the walls looked like after the wallpaper was removed and the walls were wiped down. 

What the walls looked like after the wallpaper was removed and the walls were wiped down. 

IMG_0999.JPG

In the midst of removing carpet and wallpaper, I also painted the laminate cabinets and spray painted the hardware. More details to come on this and my DIY chalk paint.

Cabinets after chalk paint, prior to distressing slightly and reattaching spray painted hardware.  Such a difference the white makes in brightening things up!!  

Cabinets after chalk paint, prior to distressing slightly and reattaching spray painted hardware.  Such a difference the white makes in brightening things up!!  

This is the hardware before spray paint  

This is the hardware before spray paint  

It was important with this project to work my way from the top to bottom. Since I would be painting the floors, I made sure that all the painting of the walls and cupboards was done prior to this step as I didn't want to spill or slop on my newly painted floors or destroy them with wallpaper glue.

If you follow me on Instagram, I have made references to my laundry room makeover the past few weeks but have yet to share any progress photos. I am really excited to share the entire thing once it is completed and styled!! I thought I would share the demo + prep process as this was a huge part of the project. Our house is just under 30 years old and was in good condition when we moved in 5+ years ago therefore we have never had to prep a space like I did for the laundry room. Some aspects were really fun and made me feel accomplished but it was also challenging and time consuming. I am so excited for this room to be done! Stay tuned for all the painting details and then the final reveal :)

Jess xx