DIY Chevron Wood Arrows

Welcome to DIY project #2 I didn't plan on completing but had the itch in between wedding decorating to-do's.

I see these chevron wood arrows all over my fav instagram feeds and on Pinterest so I decided to make a few of my own. I had a couple of 2x4s hanging out in the garage that were intended to make a frame for a full length mirror. Unfortunately, the said mirror made it's way into the trash but I'm NOT blaming anyone (cough, TK, cough).

I headed to my rents with my 2x4s in tow to use their miter saw. I made a 45 degree angled cut at the end of my board, then measured 12 inches from this point and marked with my pencil where I made my second angled cut. I measured 12 inches again from this corner and cut and now I had two pieces of angled wood that I placed together to form an arrow. I completed this several more times to get two more arrows of the same size.

I headed home and sanded all of my pieces down with my electric palm sander. I used wood glue along where the two boards met and used my staple gun on the back. I also used clamps while the glue dried.

I made two smaller arrows as well with leftover pieces.

I made two smaller arrows as well with leftover pieces.

Now I was ready to stain and paint. I applied Minwax dark walnut to two of the arrows and Mixwax classic grey to the other. I applied my stain with cloths and wiped off the excess. I planned to paint the two of the arrows but wanted the stain to show through once distressed. I let these dry overnight and then applied two coats of Country Chic chalk paint in 'Fresh Mustard" to one arrow and Behr ultra white semi gloss I had on hand to the other. This was my first time using Country Chic chalk paint and it was a free sample I got for simply "Liking" their Facebook page. I picked it up from New Vintage Chic, a retailer in Lambeth, ON along with a small sample of 'Hurricane' that the owner kindly gave me. I loved the quaint shop and will definitely be back!

Once my paint was dry, I used 80 grit sandpaper to distress both arrows heavily, allowing the dark walnut to show through. I attached small brackets to the backs of each of the arrows in order to hang them and that's it!!

I had the wood, stain and paint on hand as well as the materials used to attach and hang them so this was a free project that didn't take much time to complete. Can't beat that :) I am already thinking of making a few more to hang above the bed in the spare bedroom. Stay tuned!

Jess xx