It's been a few weeks since completing our downstairs bathroom makeover and I am finally sharing the details. While I was on my painting kick, this bathroom was next on my list. Big surprise, it was beige and it had to go!! It also had some awesome glass wall attachments that I was so happy to say bye-bye to!
I started by removing all of the above mentioned wall attachments and the old hollywood light above the mirror. I patched the holes and painted the ceiling and all of the trim while the patches dried. I sanded down the patched holes and wiped the walls with a damp cloth to get rid of the drywall dust. I taped off my freshly painted trim and was finally ready to paint!!
I chose Behr Dark Ash which is a navy/grey colour. I decided to go dark for this bathroom despite it being in the basement as it gets a good amount of natural light and felt open enough to handle the dark wall colour. It also tied in well with the floor accent colour and the grey toilet and sink. I applied my first coat and then went back and did touch ups in the areas that needed it. My application of painters tape must not have been very good because I did encounter some bleeding onto my freshly painted trim in some spots. I went back with a small craft paint brush to touch things up.
My favourite part of this entire makeover are the DIY floating shelves. I was a bit intimidated by this project but decided to bite the bullet and completed them 100% on my own! I followed this tutorial but decided to make my shelves smaller for the space so they are 24" instead of 36". I was able to build these for only $12 all together! Home Depot had 1x6 boards that were pre-cut and on sale for only $0.90 each. I stained my shelves using Minwax Espresso. TK helped me hang the shelves and he loves the look of them. They are both functional and great for decorating!
I bought our new faucet on sale at Lowe's and had TK install it. I love the old school feel of it!
I also replaced the knobs on the linen closet with these awesome vintage styled onces I got from Homesense. They have packages of 4 for only $6 so I grabbed two of them and plan to use the remaining ones for a dresser makeover. Usually for this style of knob they are like $6 a piece or more so I was pumped to find them for $1.50 each.
I also made a frame for the builder's mirror using 1x2s we had in the garage. You can check out my tutorial for framing a builder's mirror here. The only difference for this frame is that I didn't do 45 degree angle cuts. I kept things simple and just butted the straight edges up to the other piece of wood. I used a combo of wood glue on the ends and staples on the back. For added support I added the L braces and I liked the gold accent so I put them on the front. I tried a white washed look for the wood completed by staining the wood first using Minwax Espresso then applying some white chalk paint over top with a practically dry paint brush. I sanded the entire frame once the paint was dry. I struggled to hang this mirror using command strips like I did for my upstairs bathroom. I then tried liquid nails and tape but this also didn't work and I was left scraping glue off the mirror for an hour. Ultimately, I used two small picture hanging nails at the bottom of the frame to provide support and applied a bit of hot glue to the mirror and pressed the frame against it. Fingers crossed it doesn't comes crashing down at some point.
I picked up a few accessories to complete the look of the bathroom including the rustic hook used as a towel holder from James Street Home Décor. I also grabbed a new hand towel, apothecary soap and small gold picture frame from Homesense. The rest are items I had on hand.
I painted the existing toilet paper holder using Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint and added a clear coat to avoid getting chipped from it's frequent use :) I made the window valence awhile back and never documented how I made it but here is a tutorial for a similar window treatment.
I bought a new wall light from Ikea for above the sink which I installed myself again :) I haven't been loving the look of the brushed nickel so I have decided I am going to take it down and give it a coat of Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint to match the toilet paper holder. I also replaced the 80's ceiling light with a simple (cheap) flush mount from Home Depot. At some point I will get around to giving the doors a fresh coat of white paint, change the door knob and maybe add some decorative trim to the hollow door to give it a little life. I also need to build a frame for my full length mirror but SOMEONE threw it away. I had taken the frame off and left it in the garage in preparation to build a new frame but TK thought that it was meant for the dump. He also threw away my perfectly good bath mats that I had removed when Poppy was itty bitty as she was chewing on them. I was planning to return them to their home on the bathroom floor now that she has grown out of the nibbling stage. Guess I will buy new ones :)
Despite the trash donations, I spent only $150 on this entire makeover. This included the paint, wood, new lighting, faucet and accessories! Not bad if I do say so myself !! This along with my main floor updates have totally satisfied my need for home improvements I was craving all summer. Things are getting hella busy with Christmas right around the corner and my sister's winter wedding. I plan to hold off on any further painting and projects until the new year so that I can relax and enjoy Christmas vacation!!
'Tis the Season!